30 March, 2011

christmas 2009: a confession



Every year in my family we do a secret santa gift exchange. My mother has two sisters and a brother, and two of those siblings have spouses and children. Between two uncles, three aunts, four cousins (and two cousins' boyfriends), and two grandparents (not to mention my own immediate family and the sister of my uncle, and her husband) there are a lot of gifts to be given.
I was lucky enough to draw my mother's wonderfully artistic and talented eldest sister, Jan, in the secret Santa drawing two years ago, and with just a month before Christmas, I bit off much more than I could chew. I spent my $50 limit on about two dozen balls of mercerized cotton yarn in a variety of colors, intending to knit a log cabin throw I found in the fabulous book Mason-Dixon Knitting. It's a very simple garter stitch pattern, and I knit sixteen of the 18-row panels, and presented the unfinished piece to her on Christmas Day with the promise to finish it. However, it is a year an a half later, I've barely touched it. I feel so guilty about this gift, because I should have finished it and given it to her completed that Christmas, and at the very least, had the decency to give it the attention it deserved after the fact, and finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

Now, however, I'm picking up this piece again, and I intend to finish it. She deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment